Don't forget to vote in the polling system!

Infected Mushroom - Do They Still Have What It Takes?

Polling System

You may select 1 option

No votes
44%
56%

Total votes: 9

Psychonaught
Admin
Admin
Articles: 2
Mood:

#1 Post by Psychonaught »

I've supported them forever, they're as significant to em as they are to many, many of us.I'd go so far to say most of, if not all of us.

Essentially, I've been recently been struggling with the quality of their act, and some of their new tracks/compilations, TBH - I'm feeling a bit of genre fatigue - to what degree is this subjective?
"Reality is just a refuge for people who can't handle drugs" (Robin Williams)

Parallax
BOM Elf
Articles: 0
Mood:

Re: Infected Mushroom - Do They Still Have What It Takes?

#2 Post by Parallax »

Gave up after BP Empire. Saw them live a few years later and it was pure trash.

Overhyped cheese even when I go back in their discography.

Fuck 'em.
<///>

Twice as long as half my length.

s@tanboy
Mood:

#3 Post by s@tanboy »

Parallax wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:24 am Gave up after BP Empire. Saw them live a few years later and it was pure trash.

Overhyped cheese even when I go back in their discography.

Fuck 'em.
Agreed
I am the ONE

fuji
BOM Elf

#4 Post by fuji »

Psychonaught wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:22 pm I've supported them forever, they're as significant to em as they are to many, many of us.I'd go so far to say most of, if not all of us.

Essentially, I've been recently been struggling with the quality of their act, and some of their new tracks/compilations, TBH - I'm feeling a bit of genre fatigue - to what degree is this subjective?
they were probably feeling genre fatigue too by 2005 and that's why they diversified...

personally i haven't bothered listening to anything of theirs since they made that dubstep track around 2010....i'm sure they could still put out killer psy if they wanted but i doubt i'd care.....i give up on artists once they sell their souls....

like metallica....once they released the black album i lost interest and have never cared for anything they've done since
LSDKETAMINEECSTACYMUSHROOMSWEED

strange loop
BOM Elf

#5 Post by strange loop »

Your experience of music is about as subjective as it gets.

It took me a long time to realise that. Music is art is subjective. Once you start trying to apply objective criteria to the judgement of art the questions become: whose criteria? On what basis are they valid?

There are objective criteria which can be used. But they fail as a measure of artistic worth because they're purely technical. E.g., "Is piece A more melodically or harmonically complex than B?" The answer may be yes but it doesn't in any useful way inform the question of "Is piece A better than B?" Even were it to do so (and I just want to reiterate that it doesn't - this is purely a hypothetical) it would not help in determining "is piece A more enjoyable or worthwhile than B." The only time it's useful as a measure of artistic worth is when it happens to match your personal criteria for what makes art worth your time.

Ultimately we all choose our own criteria. As long as we're honest about them and consistent with them (including where any change is consistently applied,) i.e., not arbitrary, they're valid. For each of us as individuals. But they cannot be applied to the tastes of others.
eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation

s@tanboy
Mood:

#6 Post by s@tanboy »

strange loop wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:32 pm Your experience of music is about as subjective as it gets.

It took me a long time to realise that. Music is art is subjective. Once you start trying to apply objective criteria to the judgement of art the questions become: whose criteria? On what basis are they valid?

There are objective criteria which can be used. But they fail as a measure of artistic worth because they're purely technical. E.g., "Is piece A more melodically or harmonically complex than B?" The answer may be yes but it doesn't in any useful way inform the question of "Is piece A better than B?" Even were it to do so (and I just want to reiterate that it doesn't - this is purely a hypothetical) it would not help in determining "is piece A more enjoyable or worthwhile than B." The only time it's useful as a measure of artistic worth is when it happens to match your personal criteria for what makes art worth your time.

Ultimately we all choose our own criteria. As long as we're honest about them and consistent with them (including where any change is consistently applied,) i.e., not arbitrary, they're valid. For each of us as individuals. But they cannot be applied to the tastes of others.
So you like the new stuff by Infected Mushroom then?

:D
I am the ONE

strange loop
BOM Elf

#7 Post by strange loop »

Never really been a fan. They had a couple of tracks I liked on the second album and I enjoyed a lot of IM The Supervisor.

Haven't listened to trance or trance related music in years so I have no idea what they sound like now.

Parallax
BOM Elf
Mood:

#8 Post by Parallax »

strange loop wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:32 pm Your experience of music is about as subjective as it gets.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So you're invalidating the premise for lack of objectivity? It's a poll! This is the same reason I will not use Beatport or follow artists that market themselves on chart positions, all of them can go get fucked.

Anectdotally (subjectively)... went to see them perform, no flow, stop/start 8 bar wanks for 2+ hours, something happened to raves, royally fucked everything up... think it was the EDM thing in the States. I want to dance, I don't want to stand around and clap for some poncy DJ, I don't care about those drumrolls and endless shuffles, tricks and wankery.
<///>

strange loop
BOM Elf

#9 Post by strange loop »

I barely noticed there was a poll. I was replying to the question in the original post: "to what degree is this subjective?"

My love of trance parties is still largely intact but it has been reduced by all the stop start music. I still enjoy going and dancing but I miss the days when I could get on the dance floor and the beat would go, largely unbroken except for a few bars here and there, for many hours. A lot of the dance scene outside trance is much the same. The breakdown became the thing and while a good breakdown is incredible fun now everyone wants their track to be the one that gives the dancers that feeling so (almost?) every track has a breakdown. It was one of the reasons I switched to playing from Traktor (before I finally quit due to my taste in what I wanted to play diverging further and further from what people wanted to hear) - I could put in markers and choose whether to play or skip the break.

Parallax
BOM Elf
Mood:

#10 Post by Parallax »

strange loop wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:17 pm I barely noticed there was a poll. I was replying to the question in the original post: "to what degree is this subjective?"

My love of trance parties is still largely intact but it has been reduced by all the stop start music. I still enjoy going and dancing but I miss the days when I could get on the dance floor and the beat would go, largely unbroken except for a few bars here and there, for many hours. A lot of the dance scene outside trance is much the same. The breakdown became the thing and while a good breakdown is incredible fun now everyone wants their track to be the one that gives the dancers that feeling so (almost?) every track has a breakdown. It was one of the reasons I switched to playing from Traktor (before I finally quit due to my taste in what I wanted to play diverging further and further from what people wanted to hear) - I could put in markers and choose whether to play or skip the break.

oh right, didn't catch that. Just me being cranky then. But oh snap, I knew I was not the only one.
<///>